Tuesday 23 October 2012

Wedding Diary!

You and Your Wedding Magazine have very sweetly asked me to write a blog in the lead up to my big day! It's going to be one rollercoaster ride so for those of you who missed it here was my first blog post all about the engagement!.....

“When you first dream of your proposal, it’s extravagant, just like the movies, yet the more I fell for Edward (fondly known as Teddy) the more I knew I just wanted it to be about the two of us – three if we include our chocolate labrador Ellie!

One Saturday night in October, after cocktails with friends, we arrived home and continued the fun cracking open a bottle of Veuve, giggling together as we always do. Teddy later revealed that he’d never planned the proposal to be THAT night. Yet, on an impulsive decision, he knew it was the right time as everything felt so relaxed. I had no idea that he was about to get down on one knee. There I was in my White Company PJs, lounging about in our house and there he was.... asking me to marry him. It still makes me smile from ear to ear! It was everything I wanted from a proposal, natural and from the heart. Low key, no fuss.

Teddy started to cry, we both got the giggles, and I started crying too! Nearly a year down the line I still love telling people that story, and it will never grow old. To some people it may not sound like a romantic, fairytale story. To me and to us it meant the world.

I remember the pride I felt showing off my engagement ring that I still can't believe belongs to me. I have to pinch myself when I look down at it sometimes! I have seen some stunning pieces, but nothing came close to the one Teddy chose (he had hidden it in our airing cupboard!). Of course, knowing me through and through he chose an art deco and vintage-inspired diamond that I absolutely LOVE. I know I've said it a million times but Teddy... thank you!

I first met Teddy in September 2010 at a last-minute dinner with friends. Thankfully my dear friend (and, of course, future bridesmaid) Katie, persuaded me to go along. Apparently, from that night onwards, Teddy wanted to ask me out but it wasn’t until the following January that he plucked up the courage and we had our first official date. The rest, as they say, is history as it fast became clear to all of our friends and family that this was serious. Hinting that I was The One from the start, Teddy always made his feelings clear (one of my favourite qualities in him) and along with our whirlwind romance I soon found myself using the phrase "Well... when you know, you just know".

charlotte and teddy with dog
 
We celebrated our engagement with close friends and family and my Mum organised a small gathering at our family home in November (my favourite time of year). It was meant to be low-key but in true Balbier/Bedford style it ended up being an all-day and into-the-night affair!
 
Mum asked caters Vanilla In Allseasons (vanillainallseasons.co.uk) to do some amazing food – canapés on arrival and then seven small bowls of treats (a mixture of mine and Teddy’s favourite meals, so yummy) along with a dessert table. With engagement cupcakes, sweeties and delicious deserts, everyone’s sweet tooth was definitely satisfied.
 
It's now coming up to a year since the engagement and it’s been the best year I could have asked for as an engaged couple. So with a 12-month engagement done and dusted, it’s time to start the actual planning and I am beyond excited. Since we announced our news everyone has been desperate to know the details. When, where, the cake, the flowers, the venue, the photographer... the list just keeps going and the BIG question of course, what do I wear? I thought planning would be easy considering my family have been in the wedding industry now for over 50 years (Charlotte’s mum is renowned designer Amanda Wyatt) but with so many wonderful friends and wedding suppliers out there to choose from, it’s going to be harder than I thought.

So much to plan and organise but first things first... let the venue search begin!
Love Charlotte xx

PS From groom-to-be, Teddy: “It was an instant attraction. Charlotte’s sparkling smile and caring nature had me hooked from the start. The fact that she accepted my proposal is just amazing and I count myself one of the luckiest men on the planet. Not only am I looking forward to the wedding, but to spending the rest of our lives together. I can’t wait for our big day and for Charlotte to be my wife. She is the love of my life and my best friend."

No comments: